A simple five-step process for understanding the deficit and people's reactions to it
1) Read a story on the Obama administration’s pledge to reduce the deficit. Pay special attention to quotes like this:
“We wanted to draw a line in the sand and enforce some discipline in the spending process,” White House spokesman Dan Pfeiffer said.
2) Say: “Wow, they sure are spending a lot. Why didn’t they reduce it by not increasing it so much in the first place? I’m no economist or anything, but I’m not so sure I like this whole deal.”
3) Listen to Obama defender screech: “HOW COME YOU NEVER COMPLAINED ABOUT BUSH’S SPENDING, WINGNUT???”
4) Show the Obama defender this graph, courtesy of the Congressional Budget Office:
5) Repeat as needed, i.e., every single time it comes up.
(thx instapundit lol)