In honor of the kick-off of the World Cup today, here is a look back on some of the greatest goals of all time. Whether shooting from 40 yards away or maneuvering the ball past the last defender, these moves remain as impressive to fans today as they were when they occurred. Here’s to witnessing even more amazing ‘futbol’ moments during the coming weeks in South Africa.
1. In 1986, Diego Armando Maradona beat every English player before scoring, securing Argentina’s 2-0 victory.
2. In the first round of the 1994 World Cup, Saeed Al-Owairan miraculously took the ball across the field to score the only goal against Belgium for Saudi Arabia.
3. This 1978 goal was taken at a range of 40 ft, an amazing distance even for World Cup players. This goal by Arie Haan brought Holland to the finals that year.
4. At the age of 17, only Pelé could perform the feat of navigating around defensive players to score a goal. In 1958 he did just that against Sweden.
5. In 1998, Dennis Bergkamp of Holland received a long pass to score an amazing goal that gave his team a 2-1 win over Argentina.