“Conservatives have maintained their leading position among U.S. ideological groups in the first half of 2010. Gallup finds 42% of Americans describing themselves as either very conservative or conservative. This is up slightly from the 40% seen in all of 2009 and contrasts with the 20% calling themselves liberal or very liberal.” – Lydia Saad June 25, 2010 GALLUP
My own non-scientific polling, coming from readers of my columns and blogs, offers support for the Gallup findings. Here are the most universally validating reasons conservatives outnumber liberal 2 to 1.
CONSERVATIVES: America was built upon bedrock principles with a Constitution leaning heavily in favor of the mores and beliefs conservatives find comforting. To the point:
- Conservatives add and subtract, balance budgets, believe in risk and reward of the free market.
- They believe in the family unit as the foundation of a healthy society.
- Faith in a higher power supports basic tenants of obedience to law and charitable giving.
- A strong defense is a good offense, includes border security. Without it the nation ceases to exist.
- Less government, financially well-managed and free from debt, means more effective government.
- Lower, fair, pro business and family tax policies offer the best solution to increased national revenue.
- Life is sacred and beating hearts start in the womb. Valuing life is a priority to conservatives.
LIBERALS: The following statements reinforce conservative’s views that the country is better off managed by those who can count and maintain coherent thoughts.
- “We have to pass the bill so you can find out what’s in it.” Speaker Nancy Pelosi on healthcare reform.
- “I’ve now been in 57 states. I think I have 1 left to go.” Barack Hussein Obama campaigning.
- “If this were Texas, a state that borders Mexico…but it is Arizona, a state removed from the border.” WI County Supervisor Peggy West, on boycotting Arizona.
- “My fear is that the whole island (Guam) will become so overpopulated that it will tip over and capsize.” Member Armed Services Committee Rep. Hank Johnson to Admiral Robert Willard.
- “No one will know until this is actually in place how it works.” Senator Chris Dodd on the 2000 page financial overhaul bill of June 25, 2010.
The reader knows I could go on with the hilarious but true constantly coming from liberals own mouths…but on to the next group, and perhaps most politically useless.