Last week, I was a bit off with a 5-11 record (28-20 now overall). Didn’t feel great about the week and it showed. Feeling better about this week.
• Det @ GB (-14.5). Packers’ coach Mike McCarthy thinks his incredibly unproductive running backs are “productive”. He also thinks “the US economy is booming” and that Michael Bolton is a “cool guy, fantastic singer” . GB 37, Det 17.
• NYJ @ Buff (+5.5). I continue to pick against the Jets simply because I’m not a fan of their coach. I did it last year and it hurt me and I’m doing it again this year and it’s hurting me. I’ll do it until I’m right and then gloat like Rex Ryan. On Buff’s side, not sure why they wouldn’t just trade Marshawn Lynch now while he still has value. NYJ 21, Buff 17.
• Car @ NO (-13.5). Last week, before the Atlanta/NO game, I wrote this: “I like Garrett Hartley – seems like a nice guy. But I’m not sure I’ve ever seen a player less prepared mentally to carry out a task than Hartley was lining up for the game- winning field goal against SF on Monday night. He looked TERRIFIED. He made that field goal in spite of himself.” Last week vs Atlanta he missed a potential game-winning 29 yard chip shot ultimately costing NO the game. Now the Saints have re-signed 46 year-old kicker John Carney (yes, 46 years old). Nice. NO 35, Car 14.
•SF @ Atl (-6.5). This is it for SF – they lay another egg here like they did at KC last weekend and it’s over. Atl 31, SF 23.
• Sea @ StL (+.5). Seattle may actually suffer from a unique condition I call home-field-advantage-is-so-strong-that-it-makes-playing-well-in-away-games- impossible. Or, you might know it by the acronym HFAISSTIMPWIAG. They are so out of their element without their 12th man – kind of like the cool, cynical guy at the company retreat being asked by an eccentric lady with several huge necklaces and giant hoop earrings to more actively participate in the “icebreakers” session. StL 24, Sea 22.
• Cincy @ Cleve (+3.5). For some reason whenever I see highlights of the ripped Peyton Hillis, I’m reminded of the ripped Lavar Arrington. Then I’m reminded of a joke one of my friends once made about the ripped Lavar Arrington and the ripped Serena Williams when they were dating: if they would have had a child together, it would have been a muscle. This Hillis guy is for real and the Cleve’s effort last weekend in Balt should inspire those hesitant to pick Cleve here. Cleve 30, Cincy 16.
• Den @ Tenn (-6.5). Tenn’s victory last weekend at the NYG surprised me. I don’t think the Giants are very good, but I also didn’t think Tenn would roll them like that. The Giants had plenty of opportunities, but Tenn just took advantage of every mistake. Just can’t see Den stopping CJ here (though I also don’t know if the out-of-nowhere sublime passing game of the Broncos can be stopped). Tenn 27, Den 23.