The Daily Caller

The Daily Caller
              Republican presidential candidates, from left, former Pennsylvania Sen. Rick Santorum, Rep. Ron Paul, R-Texas, businessman Herman Cain, former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney, Texas Gov. Rick Perry, former House Speaker Newt Gingrich and Rep. Michele Bachmann, R-Minn., pose for a photo before a Republican presidential debate Tuesday, Oct. 18, 2011, in Las Vegas. (AP Photo/Chris Carlson)
              Republican presidential candidates, from left, former Pennsylvania Sen. Rick Santorum, Rep. Ron Paul, R-Texas, businessman Herman Cain, former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney, Texas Gov. Rick Perry, former House Speaker Newt Gingrich and Rep. Michele Bachmann, R-Minn., pose for a photo before a Republican presidential debate Tuesday, Oct. 18, 2011, in Las Vegas. (AP Photo/Chris Carlson)   

Cain campaign manager: ‘Hard to believe’ GOP rival behind sexual harassment story

The chief of staff to Republican presidential candidate Herman Cain said Monday that he has “no clue” who may have been behind the story published Sunday night in Politico claiming two women accused the candidate of inappropriate conduct in the 1990s, which Cain has now denied.

“I have no idea,” chief of staff Mark Block told The Daily Caller. “No clue. I would find it hard to believe that anybody from another campaign would do that, but then again this is politics. Isn’t it?”

Appearing on Fox News on Monday, Cain denied he had ever harassed anyone, though he said he had been falsely accused of doing so. The story published by Politico on Sunday neither named any sources nor identified the two women who the news outlet said “complained to colleagues and senior association officials about inappropriate behavior by Cain” while he was CEO of the National Restaurant Association.

Block made the comments during a brief conversation with reporters in the hallway of the National Press Club in Washington D.C., where Cain is scheduled to deliver a speech during a Monday lunchtime event.

Follow Alex on Twitter