On this weekend’s “Saturday Night Live” on NBC, the cast paid tribute to all the Republican presidential front-runners that spent at least a week at, or near, the top of the polls throughout the 2011 and 2012 primary contest.
Each sang a few verses to Green Day’s “Good Riddance (Time of Your Life)” at a bar, pointing out some of the pitfalls along the way. Highlights include:
- Andy Samberg’s Rick Santorum tells Jason Sudeikis’ Mitt Romney that he was the only candidate that could make Santorum look exciting, while Romney tells Santorum he was the only one that could make him look gay-friendly.
- Bill Hader’s Rick Perry admits he would have done better if he didn’t “take a deuce every time” he opened his mouth and recollected the GOP debates as a “weird game show.”
- Kristen Wiig’s Michele Bachmann crashes boys’ night and explains she has “crashed a lot of boys’ nights” when she has “come home early and unannounced.” Also offers her crazy face from the Newsweek cover published earlier in the primary cycle.
- Keenan Thompson’s Herman Cain notes his campaign started with fixing the economy with a “9-9-9” plan, and by the end he had 999 problems and “a bitch was all of them.”
- Bobby Moynihan’s Newt Gingrich was seen stealing peanuts in the bar as his campaign continues to hold on.