Kudos to CBS News for staying on the Benghazigate story:
One of the men who was in charge of security for U.S. diplomats in Libya says he feared for their safety long before the attack last month on the consulate in Benghazi. Four Americans were killed in the attacks on the Libyan consulate, including Ambassador Chris Stevens.
The concerned military security officer and Army green beret, Lt. Colonel Andrew Wood, will tell his story to Congress on Wednesday.
Wood first set foot in Libya last February to lead an elite, 16-man counterterrorism team. From the moment he arrived, he says he saw chaos…
Woods said he and his team became aware that they would not be allowed to stay through cables and draft cables coming back and forth. The State Department was telling the people in Libya not to continue to ask for help.
“The requests were being modified to say, ‘Don’t even ask for DoD support,’” he said.
Then, in no small part due to this blinkered negligence, our ambassador was murdered. Then the State Department lied about what they knew and when they knew it. Then the President of the United States and the Secretary of State blamed it on a stupid YouTube video. Then the guy who made that video was thrown in jail. All to cover their own asses.
And now all they want to talk about is… Big Bird.
Update: It just keeps getting worse. Fox News reports:
In a briefing to Capitol Hill staffers delivered the day after the deadly Sept. 11 attack in Benghazi, a top aide to Secretary of State Hillary Clinton said the killings appeared to be the result of a terrorist attack.
Under Secretary of State for Management Patrick F. Kennedy — who exercises responsibility for all department personnel, facilities, and operations, and who is one of the department’s most respected civil servants, having served in his position under both the George W. Bush and Obama administrations — delivered the assessment in an unclassified, half-hour conference call with staff aides to House and Senate lawmakers from relevant committees, and leadership offices, on the evening of Sept. 12. Capitol Hill sources described the call to Fox News.
September 12. The day after. And yet his bosses lied and lied and lied about it.
Four more weeks!