HEMPSTEAD, N.Y. — Debbie Wasserman Schultz told The Daily Caller Tuesday evening that President Obama “clearly articulated” during the debate what his administration would do to prevent a repeat of the September 11, 2012 attack on the U.S. consulate in Benghazi, Libya.
“We were sitting around talking about Libya, and we were reading and became aware of reports that the State Department refused extra security for our embassy in Benghazi, Libya, prior to the attacks that killed four Americans. Who was it that denied enhanced security and why?” an audience member asked Obama during the debate.
The president did not directly answer that question, despite former State Department officials testifying before Congress about the requests.
“President Obama was very clear that those State Department diplomats who were killed, that they work for him, he knew their families, it was important that he make sure that after we do a thorough investigation, that he will seek out, hunt down and bring their killers to justice,” Wasserman Schultz told TheDC in the “spin room” at the debate.
“The President, I think, decisively and clearly articulated his position on what we’re going to do to make sure that we don’t ever have that situation again and also — as he has with Osama bin Laden and with decimating the ranks of al Qaida — the President has shown previously through his record as well as what he said tonight with Libya, he means business when he says he’s going to hold people who attack the United States to justice.”
David Plouffe, a senior advisor to President Obama, echoed Wasserman Schultz.
“As the president said, we’re going to hold people accountable and that’s I think the important thing he told the American people, that there’s going to be a full investigation, people are going to be held accountable,” he told TheDC.
“We’re going to take measures to make sure that security is strengthened and that those who committed these acts are going to be held accountable and we’re going to find them as the president said.”