In today’s unambiguous sign that the end is surely near, a California preschool is closing its doors amid reports that that two preschool-age boys received oral sex from a five-year-old girl — on school grounds, on multiple occasions.
It allegedly occurred at the First Lutheran Church of Carson School, reports KABC-TV.
Attorney Greg Owen, who will reportedly file a lawsuit on behalf of some of the families involved, said the sexual encounters occurred at nap time, on a school playground and around a bathroom.
“It all boils down to a lack of supervision,” Owen said, according to the New York Daily News. “There were times when teachers would let aides in the room for hours at a time to watch the kids. During nap time, the aides would be sleeping, and the children would have been molesting each other during this time.”
The California Department of Social Services has reprimanded the school for at least one sexual incident as well as an unacceptable teacher-child ratio and a lack of supervision in general.
The church-affiliated preschool will reportedly close its doors on Friday.
Church officials told KABC that they believe the number of instances involving sexual activity between preschoolers was limited to only two. They also said the reports of sexual activity between four- and five-year-olds are not the main reason the school is shutting down. The director just happens to be leaving, they say, and no one else wants the job.
The father of one of the boys involved, Richard McCarthy, spoke to KABC about his four-year-old son.
“He told me about all the bad things that girl had been doing to him,” McCarthy told KABC. “It went down in the classroom, it went down in the bathroom and it went down out on the playground.”
McCarthy said he is worried about where he can possibly send his son to preschool now.
“There’s no way I can just take him to another school and be that parent that just lets a predator loose,” McCarthy told KABC. “How else do you explain it?”