WHERE ARE THEY NOW? Ex-Gitmo Detainees Edition

Much ado has been made about the five Taliban commanders released from Guantanamo Bay in exchange for prisoner of war Sgt. Bowe Bergdahl.

The 10 facts you need to know about each one of “The Five” are out there. But you may be wondering: Whatever happened to the other prisoners who traded a cell in Gitmo for a life on the outside?

The Daily Caller investigates.

Abdallah Saleh al-Ajmi first came to Gitmo in 2002, after he was arrested in Pakistan in late 2001. Just 23, al-Ajmi had not yet distinguished himself. His career at Gitmo was also unremarkable, although he did sustain a broken arm along the way in a scuffle with the guards.

In late 2005, he traded Guantanamo for the custody of the Kuwaiti government, and in 2006 stood trial in a Kuwaiti court. He was subsequently released and apparently spent at least one night fathering a child before heading to Iraq by way of Syria to take up terrorism and enter the nest of apostasy.

Al-Ajmi’s long-fomenting plot to blow himself up and kill a bunch of people was finally realized in 2008.

On March 23 — Easter Sunday — al-Ajmi drove a pickup with 5,000 to 10,000 pounds of explosives onto an Iraqi army base outside Mosul and blew himself up, killing 13 Iraqi soldiers and wounding 42 others.

Al-Ajmi’s remains are scattered in Iraq.

Said Mohammad Alim Shah, aka Abdullah Mahsud, first came onto the Gitmo scene after surrendering to U.S. forces in Afghanistan in December 2001. He hung out in a cell for a few years, and was fitted with a prosthetic leg, before making his way back to Afghanistan in 2004.

A few months later, he kidnapped two Chinese engineers, claimed responsibility for an Islamabad hotel bombing, and then retreated into relative obscurity for a few years. But he burst back onto the scene in April, 2007, when he directed a suicide bombing in Pakistan that killed 31 people.

Later that year he made his exit, when he blew himself up to avoid capture by Pakistani forces.

Mahsud’s remains are scattered in Pakistan.

 Abu Sufyan al-Azdi al-Shihri, aka Abu Sufyan al-Azdi, had a relatively long career at Gitmo. He spent six years there before returning to Saudi Arabia in late 2007.

He opted to join the Yemen branch of al-Qaida, which apparently went pretty well until he came into contact with a U.S. drone in 2013. Al-Azdi was not able to survive the injuries he sustained in the meeting, which was his second and final interaction with a U.S. drone.

Al-Azdi’s remains are scatted in Yemen.