BuzzFeed recently published an article rehashing the 29 Things Women Avoid Doing Because We Fear For Our Safety. A lot of them are common sense, but some seemed a tad ridiculous. One even said a smile could send a wrong signal. Some examples are:
Wear flimsy clothing when we’re out walking by ourselves, because harassers see it as an invitation to bother us.
Wear loud or outrageous clothing, either, because that’ll invite comment from strange men too.
Wear anything that will expose our breasts or remind men that we’re women, because that’s seen as an invitation for leers.
Wear a ponytail, because it will make it easier for an attacker to grab our hair.
Wear high heels, because it’ll make it harder to run faster if we need to.
Engage in small talk with a man, because he may interpret it as an invitation to come on to us in a lecherous way.
Make eye contact with strangers, because it’s seen as an invitation to approach us.
Even smiling can be seen as tacit approval to talk or approach us.
The sad truth is, there are freaks everywhere who don’t value human life, and it’s impossible to change their behavior. While women need to be aware of their surroundings and exercise common sense and personal responsibility, there are a few perks to being a woman. Here are 12 things we can get away with that men can’t.
1. Give people dirty looks without repercussions. Society will just blame it on Bitchy Resting Face.
2. Get out of speeding tickets: There are many approaches. Some go with a flirty smile, and others cry. As long as it’s not one of those super mean lady cops, it usually works.
3. Look fat but be told you don’t look fat: It doesn’t matter if the jeans make you look fat, because your boyfriend will never tell you. Besides, ignorance is bliss.
4. Throw like a girl without being criticized for throwing like a girl.
5. People watch without looking like a total creep: Sit on that park bench with those one way mirror glasses, and no one will care.
6. Go gaga over cute animals: Because it would just be weird if guys did. “Bro check this panda out. Oh my God. Oh my God he’s SOOO freaking cute. I want to take him home. Can we take him home? *Squeal*”
7. Order overly complicated drinks: Baristas practically expect this from women. We want our drinks made with fat free milk, but extra whipped cream on top. Judge.
8. Go on a date and not look like a loser for not picking up the tab: Let’s not reignite feminist arguments. Men pick up the tab on the first date, and if they don’t, it’s probably a sign.
9. Say “I’m full” when you don’t like the food, and everyone believes you: “Yeah, sorry I just ate like six hours ago, plus that one slice of bread really filled me up.”
10. Carry a gun without a creeper suspecting it: It’s called the element of surprise. “Oh, my smile was an invitation for an attack? Well then…”
11. Have a fictional character obsession without being called a nerd: Normal for Women: “Noah Calhoun so dreamy.” Just no for men: “Gosh, Princess Leia is a demigod.”
12. Carry this really cool lipstick knife: In case someone gets the wrong idea, you know?