Entertainment

College Student Discovers Country Song Is About Getting In Girl’s Pants, Gets Offended, Vows Boycott

As everyone knows, acceptable country and western songs must, by rule, contain references to at least one of these elements: mothers, trains, trucks, time spent in prison or the consumption of large quantities of alcohol.

There’s also something far more sinister afoot, though, according to a columnist for The State Press, Arizona State University’s student newspaper.

The columnist, Desiree Pharias, declared herself shocked — shocked — last week to learn that some male country singers sometimes sing about their desires to have sex with the female characters in their songs.

Pharias deems such lustful lyrics as “a more powerful vehicle of sexism” than the “blatant misogyny” of rap music.

“Have you ever taken a close listen to a modern-day country song?” the Arizona State student asks.

After admitting that she is a huge fan of the genre, Pharias excoriates country singer Cole Swindell for a song called “Hope You Get Lonely Tonight.” Specifically, she does not appreciate the lyrics, which reflect the singer’s strong desire to bang an unidentified woman.

“Swindell sings to a girl and proposes a ‘little late-night pick me up,'” Pharias writes. “He then openly tells her if she is lonely, and quite frankly, vulnerable enough tonight, she can go ahead and give him a call. He goes far enough to say if she’s ‘in the mood for a little regret’ this offer stands evermore.”

Pharias is deeply upset that the 31-year-old country singer would propose a “a one-night stand” “in such a way that it almost sounds romantic”— so offended, in fact, that she swiftly changes the station whenever “Hope You Get Lonely Tonight” comes on the radio.

The offended columnist also hates other songs she identifies as “bro-country” because, while “they are objectifying women,” “the singers of these songs are wholesome, respectful, country boys that your mom would want you to marry.”

On a Facebook page that appears to belong to Pharias, she includes among her likes The Twilight Saga, Abercrombie & Fitch and Hollister. Her favorite movies include The Notebook.

H/t: The College Fix

Follow Eric on Twitter and on Facebook, and send education-related story tips to erico@dailycaller.com.