Hillary Clinton grew visibly angry during Wednesday’s Democratic presidential debate when asked if she will drop out of the race if she is indicted for her emails.
“Oh, for goodness, that’s not going to happen. I’m not even answering that question,” Clinton said in response to a question from moderator Jorge Ramos.
Ramos asked Clinton a series of pointed questions about her emails, including who approved the private email system she used as secretary of state. The FBI is currently in possession of Clinton’s private email server and is investigating whether classified information was mishandled on her private server. More than 2,000 now-classified emails were found on her server, including 22 containing “Top Secret” information.
Clinton also told Ramos that she did not receive approval from anyone within the government, including President Obama, to operate her private email system.
“There was no permission to be asked. It had been done by my predecessors,” Clinton said. “It was permitted. I didn’t have to ask anyone.”That response was vague, as is often the case with Clinton. While Clinton’s predecessors did use personal email accounts, none used personal emails accounts to the same extent Clinton. Nor did they use private email systems utilizing servers managed by State Department IT technicians.
Clinton paid Bryan Pagliano, who had worked on her 2008 presidential campaign before being hired at the State Department in May 2009, to manage her server. She claims she paid him out of her own pocket for his server maintenance services.