Canadian Newspaper Censors Refugee Abuse Of Elementary Students
A story revealing how a Canadian elementary school has allowed refugee students to physically abuse their classmates and go unpunished was removed Sunday morning, with little explanation other than a nod towards the “sensitive” nature of the subject.
Nova Scotia newspaper The Chronicle Herald published a story on Friday evening titled “Parents worried over school kids’ brutality at Chebucto Heights Elementary School.” The story revealed parents’ fears over the abuse their children have suffered at the hands of newly-enrolled refugee students.
By Sunday morning, however, The Herald had pulled the story. In its place, the newspaper left a short statement explaining that: “Bullying is a sensitive subject. So is the integration of newcomers, particularly those who have faced challenges, even trauma, on their way here.”
In one particularly disturbing anecdote from the story (a cached version of which can still be found online), a woman tells how two refugee students have repeatedly used a chain to try and choke her third-grade daughter. One of the attackers reportedly yelled “Muslims rule the world!” while choking the girl. According to the mother, school staff broke up the assault but didn’t punish either of the attackers.
Another mother told how her daughter was slapped in the face by a refugee student, and is scared to return to school because of the bullying from her foreign classmates. The mother claimed the school never told her about her daughter’s assault and refuses to return her phone calls.
The story also claimed that the school cancelled all soccer games after rough play from the refugee children, who reportedly threatened to slit their opponents’ throats. The school confirmed to The Herald that all soccer games had been cancelled until May, but denied that the cancellations were related to violent behavior from students.
According to The Herald, more than 250 refugees have been enrolled in the region’s schools, and another 71 are expected to join after being settled in permanent housing.
The newspaper left open the possibility that the story will make a comeback, stating: “More work needs to be done and will be done before the story is republished. We should have done better and we will.”
The Chronicle Herald did not immediately reply to The Daily Caller’s request for comment.