US

Anti-Trump Protesters In O’Keefe Video Say They Knew They Were Being Recorded

WASHINGTON — Inauguration “anti-fascist” protesters secretly recorded by James O’Keefe’s Project Veritas planning to use butyric acid at a pro-Trump inaugural ball claim they were aware of the sting operation and offered false plans.

“Over the last few weeks, we have exposed four confirmed infiltrators who have tried to integrate themselves into our organizing. These are people who were working with James O’Keefe and Project Veritas. We must make this clear: These groups are doing the dirty work of Nazis, white nationalists, and other groups who are furthering Trump’s assault on vulnerable communities,” DisruptJ20, a group dedicated to disrupting Donald Trump’s presidential inauguration, said in a statement. (VIDEO: Video Shows Left-Wing Activists Plotting To Use Butyric Acid At Trump Event)

The protest group’s statement continues, “Two infiltrators appeared at an antifascist organizing meeting and immediately fell under suspicion due to their vague backstories, poor education about our movement, and unusual dress. Social media checks showed that one, Tarah. Tarah, who called herself “Tarah,” was a failed actress who was friends on Facebook with James O’Keefe.”

DisruptJ20 says the other infiltrator was an individual who went by the name “Tyler.” The group claimed to be suspicious of Tyler and set up a vetting process with a “false flag operation.”

“Our allies at the DC Antifascist Coalition met with Tyler. Because they thought it would be a humorous venue, they arranged to meet with Tyler at Comet Ping Pong, which has recently been targeted by right-wing fake news outlets. Though the coalition members did not know who he was working for, they knew Tyler was not who he said he was.”

Prior to meeting with Tyler, the group says they met with one another and planned to give him false information about a “red herring” type of plot to use “stink bombs” at the Deploraball, a Trump supporter event Thursday night at the National Press Club.

“False plans were discussed with Tyler. They spoke of false plans in order to protect themselves, and did not discuss any real intentions,” the statement said.

“The group had no intention of causing any damage or disruption at the Deploraball,” said one of the organizers, who appears in the Veritas video. “Instead, the intent was to capture on video any compromising moments from the performers or speakers, such as the Nazi salutes that similar groups gave in November, broadcast widely by The Atlantic.”

O’Keefe dismissed the DisruptJ20’s statement saying in a statement of his own, “This isn’t a joke — [DisruptJ20] met with a Project Veritas investigator to give ‘him false information about what they felt was the most humorous red herring available: a false plot to use stink bombs at an event called the Deploraball.'”

O’Keefe continued, “The group even admitted that they had already purchased tickets to the Deploraball. It’s rare that you run into people that are simply flat out liars, but the organizers of DisruptJ20 fall into that category and laughably so.”

He added, “Their plot is stopped and now they’re facing criminal scrutiny — as they should be. They’re on the run, and I say we keep them on the run by calling in some ground support.”

Follow Kerry on Twitter