Google Boss: Trump Admin Is Going To Do ‘Evil Things’
Eric Schmidt, the executive chairman of Google’s parent company, Alphabet, told employees last week that President Donald Trump and his administration are going to do “evil things.”
“I can tell you that the tone of this government is very much economic growth,” Schmidt said, according to BuzzFeed News, in an apparent attempt to criticize Trump. “And so I think at the end of the day, they are going to do these evil things as they’ve done in the immigration area and perhaps some others.”
Schmidt, who was formerly the CEO of Google, was speaking during the tech company’s weekly meeting at its headquarters in Mountain View, California. Reports of Trump’s incoming executive orders on immigration restrictions were just starting to circulate at the time. (RELATED: Google Parent Company Chairman Spotted Wearing Clinton Campaign Staff Badge)
“But the core focus is going to be to get the growth rate in the country — which is roughly one and a half to two percent — up another point by simply pushing through increases in federal spending and overcoming the tea party,” continued Schmidt, in reference to the Trump administration.
Google’s current CEO, Sundar Pichai also voiced his extreme disapproval over Trump’s executive orders. (RELATED: Silicon Valley Seems To Love Burying Conservative News)
“It’s painful to see the personal cost of this executive order on our colleagues,” Pichai said over the weekend, according to Bloomberg News. “We’ve always made our view on immigration issues known publicly and will continue to do so.”
Pichai and Schmidt aren’t the only ones in the industry to criticize the policy–a plethora of tech executives proclaimed their condemnation in recent days. In fact, a number of tech bigwigs were reportedly invited to all meet Tuesday in order to discuss how to combat the new executive orders, even with the possibility of filing or supporting lawsuits. (RELATED: Amazon CEO: We Are Exploring ‘Other Legal Options’ In Response To Trump’s Immigration Ban)
Google isn’t just trying to push back with words, but also with money and demonstrations. The company recently established a $2 million crisis fund for four organizations that are battling the Trump administration’s executive orders and providing assistance to refugees and immigrants. The reserve can be matched with up to $2 million in donations from employees, according to USA Today.
Roughly 2,000 Alphabet and Google employees around the world protested the immigration ban over the weekend by walking out of their offices and rallying on the streets.
Pichai and Google co-founder Sergey Brin spoke to the crowds of workers at one point.
Google CEO sundar pichai at rally at Googleplex “the fight will continue” pic.twitter.com/cZOfn9FiGY
— Daisuke Wakabayashi (@daiwaka) January 30, 2017
Schmidt’s prediction that the Trump’s administration is going to do “evil things” isn’t so surprising since Google seems to appreciate the word “evil” a lot. The company’s official motto and mantra was “Don’t Be Evil” for quite some time.
Follow Eric on Twitter
Send tips to email@example.com.
Content created by The Daily Caller News Foundation is available without charge to any eligible news publisher that can provide a large audience. For licensing opportunities of our original content, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.