‘Shirtless White Dude With Dreadlocks’ Apparently Way Too Much For Editorial Board Member

Shutterstock

Daily Caller News Foundation logo
Rob Shimshock Education Reporter

In a Facebook post, a member of a university editorial board recently judged a “shirtless white dude with dreadlocks” to be guilty of cultural appropriation.

“If any of you know the shirtless white dude with dreadlocks who just walked by Alderman, please tell him to stop literally everything he’s doing,” said Noah Zeidman, a member of the Editorial Board of The Cavalier Daily, the University of Virginia’s student newspaper, on Facebook.

“Nothing cool or radical about flaunting all kinds of privilege and cultural appropriation,” explained Zeidman in a reply to his original post.

“You could throw a shoe at him, though then he might talk about how his whiteness oppressed him,” remarked Carissa Yau, one of Zeidman’s friends, in another comment which Zeidman “liked.” (RELATED: Fancypants College Student Brutally Attacked White Woman Over BRAIDED HAIR, Cops Say)

“It wouldn’t be fair for someone of more privilege to ‘colonize’ this form of culture and have it be acceptable,” chimed in Rena Angel. “Instead there are other ways to show this appreciation before you act upon doing/committing to this form of culture.”

Angel went on to note that it is “unfair” to take something from another’s culture until that other person gained full acceptance and proper treatment by their peers.

But not everyone agreed with Zeidman, Yau, and Angel.

“I don’t understand how this status isn’t riddled with presumptuous, blatant judgement [sic],” said Nina Dominique Codell. “The kind, I’m willing to bet you are fundamentally against.”

“Unless you asked the man why he had locks (which by the way you should call them locks because dreadlocks was a name given to them by privileged white people referring to the hairdo as dreadful), then it’s unfair to assume he was appropriating black culture or whichever culture you are referring [sic],” noted Nati Duarte.

Duarte went on to say that wanting to throw a shoe at the white guy with dreadlocks “instead of perhaps educating him” constitutes disrespect and perpetuates violence. [RELATED: Viral: Woman Gets In White Student’s Face For Having Dreadlocks [VIDEO]

“The bottom line is white people should not have locks,” replied Zeidman, linking to an article, which states that people should only borrow from cultures they acknowledge, study, and celebrate. “And the people who disagree with [white people not wearing locks] are almost always white people with locks.”

The Daily Caller News Foundation reached out to Zeidman for further comment and to ask whether he intends to keep the post on his page.

“First and foremost, the views expressed on my personal Facebook page should not be taken as those of the Editorial Board,” said Zeidman. “I cannot speak to any views other members of the board may have on this matter, and we have not formally commented on it in a lead editorial during my tenure.”

Zeidman continued:

With that said, I stand by the post and have no intention to delete it. The post led to a fairly brief, respectful exchange between a few people from my high school and myself. My view that white locks are culturally appropriative has been shaped by the writings of black people with locks, published in any number of articles online including the one I posted in the comments of my post, as well as by conversations with black people who have locks. My post includes the line ‘please tell him to stop literally everything he’s doing.’ Hyperbole aside, if the person I saw has friends who share my views, I would encourage them to have a conversation with him about white locks.

Disclaimer: The author of this article previously worked with and under Zeidman at The Cavalier Daily while attending the University of Virginia.

Follow Rob Shimshock on Twitter

Connect with Rob Shimshock on Facebook

Send tips to rob@dailycallernewsfoundation.org.

All content created by the Daily Caller News Foundation, an independent and nonpartisan newswire service, is available without charge to any legitimate news publisher that can provide a large audience. All republished articles must include our logo, our reporter’s byline and their DCNF affiliation. For any questions about our guidelines or partnering with us, please contact licensing@dailycallernewsfoundation.org.