North Korea fired an unidentified ballistic missile Sunday morning.
The missile was launched from Sinpo at 6:20 A.M. KST; however, the missile is believed to have failed, reports the South Korean military. U.S. Pacific Command says that the missile “blew up almost immediately” after launch.
The launch comes one day after North Korea revealed several new weapons systems, including what appear to be new intercontinental ballistic missile models (ICBM), during a military parade in Pyongyang. This provocation also comes as Vice President Mike Pence travels to Seoul, South Korea.
North Korea launched an extended-range scud from Sinpo last month before President Donald Trump’s meeting with Chinese President Xi Jinping. That test was also a failure.
The military is still determining the missile type; however, initial reports suggest it was likely not an ICBM. The latest launch marks the fifth ballistic missile test since Trump took office and the eighth missile launch.Pence has been in contact with the President on this issue. Japan has organized a crisis management team in response, and South Korea will soon hold a National Security Council meeting to determine a suitable course of action to deal with North Korea’s latest act of aggression.
The “president has no further comment on the launch,” Secretary of Defense James Mattis told reporters Saturday evening. Trump’s next move with regards to North Korea is unclear. The U.S. presently has a carrier strike group led by the USS Carl Vinson moving towards waters near the Korean peninsula.
Send tips to [email protected]
Content created by The Daily Caller News Foundation is available without charge to any eligible news publisher that can provide a large audience. For licensing opportunities of our original content, please contact [email protected].