Facebook says the video of a Cleveland suspect murdering a 74-year-old man Sunday was not broadcast live, but was posted after the heinous act occurred, according to multiple reports.
It was originally believed that the assailant committed the violent crime while using the Facebook Live function.
— Cleveland Police (@CLEpolice) April 16, 2017
“This is a horrific crime and we do not allow this kind of content on Facebook,” a representative for Facebook said, reports TechCrunch.
Steve Stephens, the gunman who referred to the murder as “the Easter Day slaughter,” is still on the run.
Police now warn that Stephens could be in different neighboring states, like Pennsylvania, New York, Indiana or Michigan.
The perpetrator blamed his ex-girlfriend for the deadly attack, citing a fight and gambling debts.
Facebook Live and the capabilities of social media in general have been a contentious topic recently as a number of crimes and horrific situations have occurred while using the specific platform.
Two young girls both below the age of 15 took their own lives while using a live-streaming service. An aspiring actor did the same, committing suicide in North Hollywood earlier this year during a session on Facebook’s live streaming service. (RELATED: Two Teen Girls Die In Car Crash While Live Streaming On Facebook)
Three men were arrested in January on suspicion of gang-raping an unconscious Swedish woman while broadcasting it on Facebook Live.
Send tips to [email protected].
Content created by The Daily Caller News Foundation is available without charge to any eligible news publisher that can provide a large audience. For licensing opportunities of our original content, please contact [email protected].