US

Students Demand Christian University Embrace ‘Gender Identity’ Theory

REUTERS/Brendan McDermid

Daily Caller News Foundation logo
Amber Randall Civil Rights Reporter

Seattle Pacific University (SPU) students held a protest last week against their Christian university’s decision to view sexuality through a biblical perspective.

SPU Haven, a club acting as a safe space for gay students, put up posters against their university’s biblical views on human sexuality as a part of the “Day of Silence,” reports the College Fix.

The “Day of Silence” is a national event hosted by college and high school students to show how bullying affects the gay community.

Students placed various posters on the campus accusing the university of having a discriminatory hiring process and an “unethical” statement on human sexuality. “SPU’s statement on human sexuality: unethical, unscientific, un-Christlike,” one poster read.

The university’s statement on sexuality, released in November 2005, explains the college looks at human sexuality “within the teaching of our religious tradition.”

“We believe it is in the context of the covenant of marriage between a man and a woman that the full expression of sexuality is to be experienced and celebrated and that such a commitment is part of God’s plan for human flourishing,” the statement reads. The school also recognizes the “diversity of opinions” on this topic.

Students have taken issue with the statement, saying it is too neutral concerning gender identity.

“My identity has never been addressed at SPU. Nobody is willing to name the discrimination that happens on this campus because then they would be at fault,” one student told the school’s student newspaper. “I don’t think they see the urgency of the change that needs to happen.”

The school, while supportive of students voicing their opinions, said it stood by their human sexuality statement.

“While we recognize a diversity of opinions within our community on the topic of sexuality, we affirm our statement on human sexuality,” the university told the College Fix in a statement.

The university did not return The Daily Caller News Foundation’s request for additional comment.

Follow Amber on Twitter

Send tips to amber@dailycallernewsfoundation.org.

All content created by the Daily Caller News Foundation, an independent and nonpartisan newswire service, is available without charge to any legitimate news publisher that can provide a large audience. All republished articles must include our logo, our reporter’s byline and their DCNF affiliation. For any questions about our guidelines or partnering with us, please contact licensing@dailycallernewsfoundation.org.