In a report detailing new arrests in connection with the London subway bombing Wednesday, The New York Times omitted the refugee status of two suspects and reports that connect a third to Islamic motives.
“Three people have been arrested in a 24-hour period in Wales” in connection to the attack, begins The Times’ article. “Scotland Yard said two men, ages 48 and 30, were arrested on Wednesday under counterterrorism laws.”
Oddly enough, without first divulging anything that ties any of the suspects or the bombing to Islamic terrorism, The Times reported that ISIS had claimed responsibility, but authorities are trying to “piece together the events” to ascertain any influence by “extremists.”
In a short report comprised of only 11 paragraphs, it wasn’t until the eighth paragraph that The Times provided context in the report by detailing arrests made on Saturday:
An 18-year-old Iraqi orphan who had a reputation for getting into fights and had been in the foster care of a retired couple, and a 21-year-old from Syria who had escaped the civil war there and was working at a fried-chicken shop.
The report left out that both of the suspects arrested were refugees. The 18-year-old was described by The Times’ as an “orphan” from Iraq, and the 21-year old from Syria. Both suspects had attended a foster home well known for taking in refugees.
The third paragraph of the report mentions the arrest of a 25-year old suspect, but ignores entirely reports that allude to Islamic influence.
“Residents said the arrested man had lived in the area for many years and attended local mosques” reported The Telegraph Wednesday. “I know he is a Muslim but I don’t know what mosque he went to” said one resident, according The Telegraph.
Content created by The Daily Caller News Foundation is available without charge to any eligible news publisher that can provide a large audience. For licensing opportunities of our original content, please contact [email protected].