Despite facing multiple allegations of sexual misconduct James Franco won the Critics’ Choice Award for Best Actor in a Comedy on Thursday night–only he wasn’t there to accept it.
The “Disaster Artist” star also won Best Actor in a Musical or Comedy at the Golden Globes earlier in the week. Since that time five women have come forward with allegations of sexual misconduct against the 39-year-old actor. Despite making several appearances on late night shows throughout the week and denying the allegations against him, Franco was absent from the awards on Thursday.
Franco won the award at the end of an hourlong pre-telecast before the live show began.
“James couldn’t be here, so we accept this on his behalf,” presenter Walter Goggins said after announcing Franco as the winner, according to Fox News.
Goggins didn’t reveal why Franco was unable to attend, but according to People Magazine the actor is “hiding out” due to the allegations. (SLIDESHOW: The Best Looks From The Red Carpet Of The Golden Globes)
“He’s in a really bad place, so bad that he changed his phone number,” a source close to the situation told People. “His close friends are trying to be there for him but it’s been hard – he’s only talking to a select group of people. For now, he’s just hiding out.”
Franco was one of many celebrities to wear a “Time’s Up” pin to the Golden Globes on Sunday night, which lead some of his accusers to come forward on social media. Several more joined them, speaking to the Los Angeles Times for an article published on Thursday.
Franco has denied the claims against him, calling them inaccurate, but has decided not to attempt to silence his accusers because he believes they should be able to tell their side of the story.