White House Clarifies FBI Director’s Testimony On Porter Timeline
White House press secretary Sarah Sanders told reporters at Tuesday’s briefing that FBI director Christopher Wray’s testimony on former Trump aide Rob Porter is not at odds with statements previously made by the White House.
Wray told the Senate Intelligence Committee Tuesday the FBI had opened a background check into Porter in July 2017 and concluded the process in January 2018, which appeared to conflict with the White House’s claim the background check was “interim and ongoing.” (RELATED: FBI Director Pokes Holes In White House’s Rob Porter Timeline)
“Is there anything you would like to clarify?” Fox News Radio’s Jon Decker asked Sanders after bringing up Wray’s comments.
“My understanding is any information would have gone to the personnel security office,” Sanders responded. “That office had not completed their process in order to make a recommendation for adjudication to the White House. That was still ongoing and, therefore, recommendation had not been made. That’s part of the White House that the security office plays, run by career officials, and we hadn’t received a recommendation by that office.”
Decker pressed onward: “The FBI director said under oath today that the completed background investigation was actually submitted in late July. Which is it?”
“The White House personnel security office, staffed by career officials, received what had they considered to be the final background investigation report in November but had not made final recommendation for adjudication to the White House because the process was still ongoing when Porter resigned,” Sanders flatly answered. “The July report required significant additional investigatory field work before personnel security office could begin to evaluate the information for adjudication.”
“We find those statements to be consistent with one another.”
Follow Datoc on Twitter and Facebook