Harvard Student Paper Calls School Out For Having So Few Conservatives [VIDEO]

Shutterstock/Jon Bilous

Daily Caller News Foundation logo
Rob Shimshock Education Reporter

Harvard University’s student newspaper called out the school for having so few conservatives, according to a Tuesday report.

The Harvard Crimson’s editorial board published a piece, “Expanding the Diversity Conversation,” noting just how disproportionately staffed with liberals the school’s faculty is when compared with the American population as a whole, The Washington Examiner reported Tuesday.

“Much of the conversation surrounding diversity and inclusion at Harvard has been dominated by issues of race and gender,” the board stated. “Startlingly, just around 1.5 percent of respondents to The Crimson news staff’s survey of the Faculty of Arts and Sciences identify as conservative or very conservative, compared to 83.2 percent who identify as liberal or very liberal.”

The board noted the disparity between this ratio and that of the American public, pointing to a Gallup poll demonstrating 26 percent of the country identifies as liberal and 35 percent classify themselves as conservative — a figure 23 times the proportion of conservative faculty at Harvard.

“This stark divide has harmful effects on the University’s ability to train our nation’s leaders, and it risks alienating current and potential conservative students,” the board explained. “It has also likely contributed to the declining trust of Americans in higher education, which has deleterious effects.”

“We believe the University must emphasize hiring professors with diverse beliefs and backgrounds who can challenge prevailing campus ideas through tough ideological conversations.”

Harvard made headlines earlier in May for mandating its faculty complete harassment training starting in the fall 2018 semester. The school has also banned Greek life members from holding campus leadership positions and obtaining formal endorsements for Rhodes scholarships. (RELATED: Harvard To Ban Frat And Sorority Members From Rhodes Scholarships, Leadership Positions)

WATCH:

The Daily Caller News Foundation reached out to Harvard for comment but received none in time for press.

Follow Rob Shimshock on Twitter

Connect with Rob Shimshock on Facebook

Send tips to rob@dailycallernewsfoundation.org.

All content created by the Daily Caller News Foundation, an independent and nonpartisan newswire service, is available without charge to any legitimate news publisher that can provide a large audience. All republished articles must include our logo, our reporter’s byline and their DCNF affiliation. For any questions about our guidelines or partnering with us, please contact licensing@dailycallernewsfoundation.org.