Yemen: Security forces capture 3 al-Qaida suspects
SAN’A, Yemen (AP) — Yemen’s Interior Ministry says it arrested three suspected al-Qaida militants who were wounded in clashes with security forces earlier this week.
The ministry said in a statement Wednesday the three were captured at a hospital in the province of Amran, northwest of the capital.
The three were wounded when security forces clashed on Monday with a group of militants travelling in the region of Arhab, northeast of San’a, killing two.
After the clashes, the U.S. Embassy in San’a ended a two-day closure, saying the operation had addressed a threatened al-Qaida attack.
Security forces were trying to capture al-Qaida’s suspected leader in the area, Mohammed Ahmed al-Hanaq, and a relative Nazeeh al-Hanaq, but they escaped.