RIYADH, Saudi Arabia (AP) — A senior Saudi official says 82 Saudis have been killed and 21 are missing since the kingdom launched an offensive against Yemeni Shiite rebels along the border in early November.
Prince Khaled bin Sultan, the Saudi assistant defense minister, says his forces were able to “cleanse” the border village of al-Jabiri, “pulverizing” the Yemeni rebels who occupied it. He said that latest battle left four of his soldiers killed.
Saudi Arabia launched an air and ground offensive against the Yemeni rebels on Nov. 5, after one of its soldiers was killed along the border.
The prince spoke Tuesday. He said last month that 73 of his soldiers were killed.