WASHINGTON (AP) — The State Department has raised the number of confirmed deaths of Americans in Haiti to six.
State Department spokesman P.J. Crowley said Friday that in addition to the previously reported death of State Department employee Victoria DeLong, there have been at least five other confirmed U.S. deaths — all private U.S. citizens whose names have not been released publicly.
Crowley said the U.S. death toll is going to rise further, but he offered no estimate. DeLong, a cultural affairs officer at the U.S. Embassy, was killed when her home collapsed in the earthquake.