Five teens found dead in Fla. motel, police believe carbon monoxide poisoning to be cause of death

Pat McMahon Contributor
Font Size:

Police believe carbon monoxide poisoning may have caused the deaths of five teenagers in a Hialeah, Fla. motel room, WSVN-TV reported Monday.

While authorities have yet to identify the victims, family and friends who arrived at the Presidente Hotel said they were teenagers aged between 17 and 19 who had checked into the motel to celebrate a birthday.

Part of the party who had left the night before told police that their friends had left a car below the room running because they were afraid they would not be able to start it the next morning.

“They left the engine running, the garage door closed. The room probably got filled with carbon monoxide,” Hialeah Police Detective Carl Zogby said.

At about 2:00pm, the five were discovered dead by a housekeeper who called police.

Full story: Five teenagers found dead in Florida motel room: report