A student ended up in intensive care after drinking a bottle of soy sauce as part of an initiation ceremony to join a fraternity house at the University of Virginia.
The dare went wrong when 19-year-old John Paul Boldrick began foaming at the mouth and went into seizure a few hours later, police say.
A police investigation is now under way following the student’s four-day stay in hospital earlier this month, after he ate an initiation meal which also contained dog food and gefilte fish.
The first year student was pledging fraternity to Zeta Psi. A brother at the fraternity, 21-year-old Peter Flynn, told police other members dared the younger man to drink a whole bottle of soy sauce, NBC 29 reports.