Their upcoming nuptials have been a hot topic for months, but Kate Middleton and Prince William might not be engaging enough for NBC Universal, which reportedly is cutting back its coverage of the royal wedding.
According to the New York Post, the network has slashed several pre-recorded tapes from its “aggressive and comprehensive coverage” on the royal wedding because Middleton and Prince William are “too boring.”
“The U.S. public’s interest was not what they thought,” an NBC insider told Page Six. “Kate and Prince William are both really boring.”
But Meghan Pianta, an NBC News communications representative, told The Daily Caller that the Post piece is false.
“[T]he Post never contacted NBC News before writing this and the information in the article is completely unfounded and false,” Pianta wrote in an email to TheDC. “[We] just don’t want to continue the swirl of news that isn’t true!”
According to the Post story, editors, producers and on-air employees will go to London later than previously planned because brass have reduced the number of pre-taped segments to air before the April 29 ceremony, including stories about the betrothed couple’s upbringings and families.
Sources added that concerns about viewer fatigue sparked the network’s decision to air jusr half of the pre-recorded footage.
“They’re alloting [sic] fewer resources to it because they’re afraid it’s not going to rate well,” a source said.
An unidentified NBC rep reportedly told Page Six that the rumor is false, saying in a statement, “This could not be more false — NBC News has the most aggressive and comprehensive coverage of the royal wedding, as you will see when you tune in to ‘Today’ starting Friday at 4 a.m. to ‘Dateline’ at 9 p.m. and on MSNBC, Telemundo, etc.”
This article has been updated.