Gingrich campaign chief quietly confirms departure on Facebook
Newt Gingrich campaign manager Michael Krull quietly announced on Monday morning that he was no longer working for the campaign.
When asked about the split, Krull told The Daily Caller only that it was “time to go … a mutual decision. Amicable.”
Politico, however, first reported on March 27 that Krull was asked to leave the campaign. Vince Haley has taken over as campaign manager.
According to earlier news reports, Gingrich spokesperson R.C. Hammond and communications director Joe DeSantis will stay on in their current positions. The campaign announced a one-third staffing cut in March.
As of Monday morning, news reports indicated that Gingrich, the former Speaker of the House, has no plans to exit the GOP race for president. Gingrich said he wants to stay in the race to give the conservative movement an option within the Republican Party.
His campaign, however, has had publicly noted financial problems, including a $500 check that bounced in Utah — money intended to secure him a place on the state’s primary ballot. Gingrich said on April 11 that his campaign was “slightly less” than $4.5 million in debt.
Gingrich won only 5.9 percent of the vote in the April 3 Wisconsin primary. On the same day, he received less than 11 percent of the GOP voter in Washington, D.C. — compared with a 70 percent showing for the likely nominee, former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney.
Krull was the national director of Gingrich’s 527 PAC, American Solutions for Winning the Future, for four years before joining the presidential campaign last year.
He would not answer when TheDC asked if the campaign’s financial situation was the reason for his departure.
This story was updated after publication. The Gingrich campaign informed the Daily Caller that it would not, as reported, file for public assistance. It has conceded, however, that it is “slightly less” than $4.5 million in debt.