Slow your glow: spray tanning found to be toxic

Samantha Schnurr Contributor
Font Size:

Someone alert Snooki: spray tans are toxic.

In a new study conducted by ABC News, ingredients used for spray tans were found to be toxic. It was determined that the ingredient used for spray tanning called dihydroxyacetone, also known as DHA, is not safe for approval or inhalation.

DHA, an ingredient that darkens the skin, was originally used in self-tanning lotions to achieve a greater glow in the 1970s. The ingredient later found its way into spray tanning booths to achieve the same effect. However, when spray tanning, DHA is released into the air, which causes the recipient to inhale it into his or her lungs and suffer possible harmful effects.

“These compounds in some cells could actually promote the development of cancers or malignancies,” Dr. Rey Panettieri, a lung specialist and toxicologist at the University of Pennsylvania, told ABC News. “And if that’s the case then we need to be wary of them.”

The Food and Drug Administration advises consumers who spray tan they are “not protected from the unapproved use of this color additive” if they are inhaling the mist or allowing it to get inside their body.

“Consumers should request measures to protect their eyes and mucous membranes and prevent inhalation,” the FDA advises on its website.

As it seems, Snooki and the rest of the “Jersey Shore” might have to stick to self-tanning lotions from now on.

Follow Samantha on Twitter