Cell carriers in the Boston area are adjusting for the heavy traffic load in the Boston region following the explosions Monday at the Boston Marathon that left 2 dead and dozens injured.
Verizon spokesperson Tom Pica reported that no damage had been done to the Verizon Wireless network, and that it was “seeing elevated calling and data usage throughout the region since the explosions occurred.”
“Verizon Wireless has been enhancing network voice capacity to enable additional calling in the Copley Square area of Boston,” said Pica.
“Customers are advised to use text or email to free up voice capacity for public safety officials at the scene,” he said.
Sprint and AT&T spokespersons also acknowledged that their networks had experienced an increase in traffic as people were trying to reached loved ones, reported The Boston Globe.
AT&T, in a statement responding to the event, also said that it in order to help, it would leave the temporary WiFi it had set up for the Boston Marathon for an extended time.
A law enforcement official — citing an intelligence report — had reportedly said that cell service would be shut down in order to prevent the remote detonation of any remaining bombs in the area, accordingto the Associated Press.
A police department spokesman denied the report, according to The Hill.