Its round two for Oscar De La Hoya as the Olympic gold medalist voluntarily checks into rehab, again. The former boxer will not be present for one of the biggest fights of the year as Floyd Mayweather Jr. takes on Canelo Alvarez.
“I will not be at the fight this Saturday to cheer Canelo to victory since I have voluntarily admitted myself into a treatment facility,” De La Hoya said in his statement, Associated Press reports. “I explained this to Canelo and he understood that my health and long term recovery from my disease must come first.”
De La Hoya is a partner in Golden Boy Promotions who also promotes Alvarez. AP states that De La Hoya appeared several times on Showtime’s “All Access” show cheering on Alvarez in what is expected to be one of the greatest fights in boxing history.
De La Hoya told the Los Angeles Times that he has been attending Alcoholics Anonymous meetings six days a week, but had been slipping up during his treatments.
De La Hoya, also known as “Golden Boy,” defeated 17 world champions and has won ten world titles in six different weight classes. He announced his retirement back in 2009.
According to TMZ, the world champion fighter checked into rehab in 2011.