Officials in the U.S. government are reportedly linking North Korea and the massive hack of Sony late last month, which was followed up by a terrorist threat this week that forced Sony to pull the film “The Interview” ahead of its Dec. 25 release.
Following Sony’s announcement to pull the film Wednesday after almost half the nation’s theaters cancelled screenings, anonymous senior administration officials told the New York Times that North Korea was “centrally involved” in the hack, which has so far resulted in the dump of unreleased movies, private employee information and executive emails. (RELATED: America’s Biggest Movie Theater Chains Drop ‘The Interview’ Over Sony Hackers Threat)
Officials cited in a Thursday NBC News report said they “found linkage” between the hackers and the government of North Korea, which officials believe ordered the attack to take place outside of the country.
The government is reportedly discussing how to respond to the findings. (RELATED: Sony Hackers Threaten 9/11-Style Terrorist Attacks Against ‘The Interview’ Moviegoers)
The Times reports the hackers launched the attack through roundabout global networks in Singapore, Thailand and Bolivia — the last of which was used in an attack against South Korea two years ago.
Investigators uncovered evidence suggesting North Korean involvement days after the attack in the form of malicious code with extreme similarities to one used against South Korean banks and television stations in 2013. (RELATED: New Evidence Suggests North Korea Hacked Sony Over Seth Rogen Comedy About Killing Kim Jong-un)
“The Interview,” which stars James Franco and Seth Rogen in a comedic attempt to assassinate North Korean dictator Kim Jong-un, has been described as an “act of war” and “undisguised sponsoring of terrorism” by Pyongyang since it was announced earlier this year.