Republican presidential candidate Jeb Bush is canceling a planned campaign appearance in Charleston, South Carolina Thursday because of the news of a gunman killing nine people at a black church in the city.
“Governor Bush’s thoughts and prayers are with the individuals and families affected by this tragedy,” said Allie Brandenburger, a spokeswoman for Bush’s campaign.
Police say a gunman entered the historic Emanuel African Methodist Episcopal Church during a Wednesday night prayer service, opening fire and killing at least nine parishioners.
Another likely Republican running for president, Louisiana Gov. Bobby Jindal, said on CNN he thinks it is appropriate for politicians to cancel events in Charleston, saying it’s necessary to give authorities the space to investigate the crime without distractions. He is set to announce his entrance into the campaign next week.
Bush announced Monday he is running for president, and has been in Iowa and New Hampshire for his first tour through the states as a candidate. He had been scheduled to make his first appearance in South Carolina on Thursday morning at the Charleston Maritime Center.