Before the first body is buried, before the monster who did it is caught, the liberal website Salon has declared the horrific Charleston church massacre “violence white America must answer for.”
“The story is still developing. At present, Charleston authorities are reporting that this mass shooting and likely right-wing domestic terrorist assault is a hate crime,” Chauncey DeVega writes (emphasis added).
The motivation of the shooter is not known, but his actions are his own. Still, Salon has no qualms about assigning motivation and blame to the politics of those who don’t agree with their radical agenda.
This isn’t the first time the establishment media assigned motivation and a political belief to a monster after they shot people. The Colorado theater shooter, James Holmes, was called a tea party member by ABC News simply because someone in the local tea party had the same name. Andrew Stack flew his plane into an IRS building in Austin, Texas, and the media assumed he was a “right-winger.” The Boston Marathon bombing was initially blamed on “right-wingers.”
DeVega declares, “White right-wing domestic terrorism is one of the greatest threats to public safety and security in post 9/11 United States of America. Such a plain-spoken fact is verboten in mainstream American public discourse.”
So what does DeVega want answers to? What does he say the (white) media won’t press? He writes:
As such, there are several phrases and words that are likely to not be used by the corporate news media in the discussions of the Charleston mass murders at the Emanuel Baptist Church.
- What is radicalizing white men to commit such acts of domestic terrorism and mass shootings? Are Fox News and the right-wing media encouraging violence?
- Is something wrong with the white family? Why are their sons and men so violent?
- What should law enforcement and white politicians do about white crime?
- Is the Charleston mass shooting just one more sign that America needs sensible and reasonable gun control policies?
- Where are the white fathers in the white home?
- When will white leadership step up and stop white right-wing domestic terrorism?
- Is White American culture pathological? Why is White America so violent?
- Are there appropriate role models for white men and boys? Could better role models and mentoring help to prevent white men and boys from committing mass shootings and being seduced by right-wing domestic terrorism?
Once and again, white privilege is the power to be the ultimate individual where one’s actions and behavior rarely if ever reflects on the collective character of white people en masse.