The State Department is asking Hillary Clinton to contact her old internet service and email providers in order to produce emails she sent early in her tenure as secretary of state that she has not turned over to the federal government.
The request was made in a letter sent Oct. 2 by Patrick Kennedy, the Under Secretary for Management at State, to Clinton’s attorney, David Kendall. The letter was included in an update filed Tuesday in a lawsuit filed by the watchdog group Judicial Watch, which is seeking Clinton records.
“In the course of reviewing recently received documents from other former officials, the Department has become aware of emails that were sent to or received from former Secretary Clinton between January and March 2009,” Kennedy wrote to Kendall.
“As a result, I ask that you confirm that, with regard to her tenure as Secretary of State, former Secretary Clinton has provided the Department with all federal records in her possession, regardless of their format or the domain on which they were stored or created, that may not otherwise be preserved in the Department’s recordkeeping system,” Kennedy continued.
It was reported last month that the Department of Defense had turned over emails between Clinton and former CENTCOM Commander Gen. David Petraeus during the early part of her tenure. Clinton has said the emails were sent from an account she used while in the U.S. Senate. She said she did not start using the HDR22@clintonemail.com address until March 2009.
The Petraeus emails undermined Clinton’s claim that she turned over all of 55,000 pages of her work-related emails to the State Department in December.
In defending the discovery of the Petraeus emails, Clinton has said that she no longer has access to her old account. But Kennedy is pressing Clinton and her team to do more to obtain the records.
“To the extent her emails might be found on any internet service and email providers, we encourage you to contact them,” he wrote.