For Dec. 15, 2015, here are your stock market futures, earnings reports, top stock market news, and stocks to watch…
Stock Futures Today
On Monday, the Dow Jones Industrial Average gained 103 points on a busy day of mergers and key economic data. Domestic oil prices were on the rise ahead of today’s critical U.S. Federal Reserve meeting. Traders appear cautious yet expectant regarding the FOMC meeting that kicks off on Tuesday morning. According to the CME FedWatch program, there is an 83% chance the Fed will raise interest rates during its post-meeting announcement on Wednesday.
- The Stock Market Today: On Tuesday, the FOMC meeting kicks off its final meeting of 2015, and the markets expect that the Federal Reserve will finally end its Zero-Interest-Rate Policy (ZIRP). Traders will also keep an eye on the November update to the Consumer Price Index (CPI).
- Oil Outlook: Oil pricesremained volatile this morning on concerns about a global glut and expectations that the Federal Reserve will raise interest rates. January WTI prices were up marginally at $36.78 per barrel. Meanwhile, Brent oil crude fell 0.15% to hit $39.67.
Earnings Outlook: FDS, GIL, HEI
- Earnings Report No. 1, FDS: Shares of FactSet Research Systems Inc. (NYSE: FDS) were on the move this morning after the company reported fiscal first-quarter earnings.
- Earnings Report No. 2, GIL: Before the markets opens, Gildan Activewear Inc. (NYSE: GIL) will report Q4 earnings. Wall Street analysts anticipate that the activewear manufacturer will report an EPS of $0.51 on top of $692.8 million.
- Earnings Report No. 3: HEI: After the bell, HEICO Corp. (NYSE: HEI) will report 2015 Q4 earnings. Consensus analyst expectations call for the company declare per-share earnings of $0.53 on $321.93 million.
Stocks to Watch: BA, AAPL, NWL, JAH
- Stocks to Watch No. 1: BA: Shares of Boeing Co. (NYSE: BA) were up more than 1% this morning on news that the firm’s board of directors increased its dividend by 20%. The firm also approved a new $14 billion stock buyback program in order to boost shareholder value.
- Stocks to Watch No. 2, AAPL: A report from investment firm Stiefel indicates that Apple Inc. (Nasdaq: AAPL) was able save $0.70 per share – or $4.1 billion – by hedging against the dollar’s rise in 2015. The company began seeking security against the rising dollar in the second half of 2014, as the dollar began to rise against the currencies of major emerging markets where Apple relies on a large share of its revenue. The Apple stock price was down 1% on the day.
- Stocks to Watch No. 3: NWL: Shares of Newell Rubbermaid (NYSE: NWL) dropped more than 7% on news that the company plans to purchase Jarden Corp. (NYSE: JAH). The proposed $15 billion deal will create the largest manufacturer of food containers. Shares of Jarden gained more than 2.5% on news of the deal.
Today’s U.S. Economic Calendar (all times EST)
- Consumer Price Index at 8:30 a.m.
- Empire State Manufacturing Survey at 8:30 a.m.
- Redbook at 8:55 a.m.
- Housing Market Index at 10 a.m.
- 4-Week Bill Auction at 11:30 a.m.
- Treasury International Capital at 4 p.m.
What Investors Must Know This Week
- The Best Market Crash Insurance You Can Buy
- Grab Triple-Digit Gains from This “Stealth” Tech Star
- The Real Reason for China’s Insatiable Gold Lust
About Money Morning: Money Morning gives you access to a team of ten market experts with more than 250 years of combined investing experience – for free. Our experts – who have appeared on FOXBusiness, CNBC, NPR, and BloombergTV – deliver daily investing tips and stock picks, provide analysis with actions to take, and answer your biggest market questions. Our goal is to help our millions of e-newsletter subscribers and Moneymorning.com visitors become smarter, more confident investors.To get full access to all Money Morning content, click here.
Disclaimer: © 2015 Money Morning and Money Map Press. All Rights Reserved. Protected by copyright of the United States and international treaties. Any reproduction, copying, or redistribution (electronic or otherwise, including the world wide web), of content from this webpage, in whole or in part, is strictly prohibited without the express written permission of Money Morning. 16 W. Madison St. Baltimore, MD, 21201.