Slain Md. Officer Likely Killed By Friendly Fire

Screen shot/NBC Washington

Daily Caller News Foundation logo
Steve Birr Vice Reporter
Font Size:

Friendly police fire likely killed the Prince George’s County cop who died Sunday when a shootout erupted in front of a Maryland police station.

Officer Jacai Colson, 28, died after his fellow officers drove him to a hospital in the back of a police cruiser following the shooting at Maryland’s Landover station.

Michael DeAndre Ford, 22, opened fire on officers outside the station, while his brothers Elijah, 18, and Malik Ford, 21, filmed the shootout with police. Authorities say Michael, who has a history of mental illness, intended to die in the shootout, while police believe Malik and Elijah were aware of his plans from the beginning, reports NBC Washington.

“That individual videotaped it as if it’s a game, as if it’s something we’re going to put on YouTube and glorify,” John Teletchea of the Maryland Fraternal Order of Police said Monday evening at a press conference.

The shooter reportedly video taped a personal will on his cell phone two minutes before his brothers drove him to the Landover station. Michael exited an unmarked car at the station Sunday and began firing at cars and an ambulance. Colson engaged the gunman in a firefight, which drew three other officers. Prince George’s County Police Chief Hank Stawinski revealed Monday evening Colson likely died from friendly fire.

“This was callously recorded and could have been prevented,” Stawinski said at press conference.”Circumstantially, we believe that the shot that killed Detective Colson was fired by a fellow Prince George’s County Police officer, reacting to this. I am not prepared to say which of those officers fired that round.”

Doctors quickly stabilized Michael Ford after suffering non-life threatening injuries. He faces charges of second-degree murder, attempted first-degree murder, use of a handgun in the commission of a felony and the possibility of additional charges, reports WJLA.

A judge found insufficient evidence to charge Elijah and Malik Ford with second degree murder or handgun charges Tuesday. Both brothers are being held without bond and still face charges of attempted first-degree murder.

Follow Steve on Twitter

Content created by The Daily Caller News Foundation is available without charge to any eligible news publisher that can provide a large audience. For licensing opportunities of our original content, please contact