A super PAC claiming to be working on behalf of Ben Carson shut down operations last Friday, two days after the former neurosurgeon said the organization’s efforts were inappropriate and done without his knowledge.
“I was rather surprised that some are raising money using my name regarding a vice presidential bid. I also know that many of you may have also wondered, so I wanted to clear things up. I am not seeking title or position, but rather am interested in saving our country for the next generations,” Carson wrote in a Facebook post last Wednesday.
“I do not believe that it is appropriate at this time to be using any notoriety that I have gained to try to get people to donate to a political effort on my behalf,” he continued. “I’m not seeking a vice presidential slot or any cabinet post.”
The super PAC shut down on Friday, two days later. John Sousa, chair of The 2016 Committee, told The Hill on Monday that the super PAC “is, effective Friday, dormant.” Sousa told The Hill that he “can’t go over” the reasons why the super PAC is shutting down, although he did call his critics “morons” who “need to get off of their lazy asses and call me.”
Carson’s Facebook post came just hours after The Daily Caller reported that the super PAC was using Carson’s name to solicit donations from a pool of his supporters that included a disproportionately high number of retirees. The donations were, ostensibly, meant to fund a push to get Carson on the GOP ticket as the vice-presidential nominee. However, as noted by TheDC, a large percentage of donations were instead funneled to the super PAC’s operatives.
TheDC reached out to Sousa to ask if he would continue renting out the super PAC’s mailing lists, but he did not reply by press time.
TheDC reported back in February that the 2016 Committee had built massive donor lists. Just one of its lists had more than 110,000 donors on it, and FEC filings reveal the super PAC already earned more than $260,000 last year by renting out its donor lists.