San Francisco’s police chief has ordered that every single officer to undergo training after yet another slew of racist text messages have been released.
San Francisco Police Chief Greg Suhr announced Friday that the city’s entire police force must attend anti-harassment training, the Associated Press reports. The department also released copies of damning text messages sent and received by San Francisco police officers.
The new batch of texts, first obtained by AP, make use of racist and homophobic slurs. They include several pictures with racist captions. The names of officers are redacted.
In one text, an officer responded to a picture of a black Thanksgiving turkey by asking, “Is that a Ferguson turkey?” SF Gate reports that in another message, a picture of an older man features the caption,“BACK IN MY DAY WE DIDN’T HAVE VIDEO GAMES. WE WENT OUTSIDE AND BEAT N— WITH STICKS.” Another picture shows a white man spraying a black child with a hose while calling him a racial slur.
The Friday announcement comes after CNN reported Tuesday that they had obtained more racist and homophobic text messages from the department’s officers. The messages show officer Jason Lai, who has resigned, allegedly sending and receiving texts saying things like “Fuck that nig” and “Indian ppl are disgusting.” The texts came out as part of an investigation into sexual assault allegations against Lai.
“I hate that beaner, but I think the nig is worse,” says another text. The texts also refer to black people as “barbarians” and “wild animals.” The officers also used a code to call people gay, sources tell CNN. One text says “Passive aggressive 528,” which uses the fire code 528 to call someone a “flaming” homosexual.
Four officers were connected to the texts with Lai. Three no longer work with the force and one is being disciplined.
The department can’t seem to escape this scandal as more and more texts have been released. They have been under investigation for racist text messages revealed by court documents since of March, 2015. Those earlier texts include insults to a range of ethnic groups and make use of the phrase “white power.”
The racist texts have also called into question thousands of arrests. District Attorney George Gascon formed a panel to investigate whether bias in the police department led to wrongful convictions. About 3,000 cases are being reviewed and a few have already been dismissed.
Suhr attempted to fire eight of the cops but a judge ruled he could not because he delayed so long in disciplining them. That ruling is being appealed.
“We are committed to cutting out this cancer of intolerance,” Suhr told SF Gate. “We will continue to do the hard work every single day to restore the trust of this city and the people we are privileged to serve.”
Documents reported by KQED in March of 2015 show the first round of texts between multiple officers that ran the gamut of racism and homophobia, taking shots at several minorities while calling multiple people “fags.”
The texts came to light when former Sgt. Ian Furminger, convicted in December of 2014 for his role in stealing from drug suspects, tried to get out on bail while awaiting appeal. Prosecutors intent on making sure that didn’t happen used the text messages against him.
Straight from the court documents, here are some of Furminger’s worst alleged texts:
- “We got two blacks at my boys [sic] school and they are brother and sister! There cause dadworks for the school district and I am watching them like hawks.”
- In response to a text saying, “Do you celebrate quanza [sic] at your school?” Furminger replied:“Yeah we burn the cross on the field! Then we celebrate Whitemas.”
- “Its [sic] worth every penny to live here [Walnut Creek] away from the savages.”
- “Those guys are pretty stupid! Ask some dumb ass questions you would expect from a blackrookie! Sorry if they are your buddies!”
- “The buffalo soldier was why the Indians Wouldnt [sic] shoot the niggers that found for theconfederate They [sic] thought they were sacred buffalo and not human.”
- “My wife has 2 friends over that don’t know each other the cool one says to me get me a drinknigger not knowing the other is married to one just happened right now LMFAO.”
- In response to a text saying “Niggers should be spayed,” Furminger replied: “I saw one an hourago with 4 kids.”
- “I am leaving it like it is, painting KKK on the sides and calling it a day!”
- “Cross burning lowers blood pressure! I did the test myself!”
- In response to a text saying “All niggers must fucking hang,” Furminger replied: “Ask my 6 yearold what he thinks about Obama.”
- In response to a text saying “Just boarded train at Mission/16th,” Furminger replied: “Ok, justwatch out for BM’s” [black males].
- “I hate to tell you this but my wife friend [sic] is over with their kids and her husband is black!If [sic] is an Attorney but should I be worried?” Furminger’s friend, an SFPD officer, replied: “Get ur pocket gun. Keep it available in case the monkey returns to his roots. Its[sic] not against the law to put an animal down.” Furminger responded, “Well said!”
- In response to a text from a different SFPD officer about the promotion of a black officer, Furminger wrote: “Fuckin nigger.”
Content created by The Daily Caller News Foundation is available without charge to any eligible news publisher that can provide a large audience. For licensing opportunities of our original content, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.