Politics

Majority Of Americans Disagree With FBI’s Decision Not To Charge Clinton

Justin Sullivan/Getty Images)

Daily Caller News Foundation logo
Eric Lieberman Deputy Editor
Font Size:

A Monday poll found that a majority of Americans disapprove of the FBI’s decision not to charge Hillary Clinton for her mismanagement of highly sensitive emails while acting as secretary of state.

FBI Director James Comey found that Clinton’s email system made the U.S. “vulnerable to hostile elements” and that her handling of classified information was “extremely careless,” after an investigation into the matter.

Yet Comey did not recommend Clinton be charged by the Department of Justice during a highly publicized July 5 press briefing, because the FBI “did not find clear evidence that Secretary Clinton or her colleagues intended to violate laws.”

The ABC News/Washington Post survey, which was conducted by Langer Research Associates, according to Ars Technica, reveals that 56 percent of respondents said they “disapprove” of Comey and the FBI’s decision, while only 35 percent approve.

The study took place from July 6 to 7, included 519 adults contacted on both landlines and mobile phones, and has a margin of error of plus or minus 5 percentage points.

Another question asked respondents if “the outcome of this issue made you” more or less likely to support Clinton for president, or if the decision did not change the opinion. While 58 percent replied with “no difference” and 10 percent said “more likely,” approximately 28 percent said that the decision made them “less likely” to support Clinton in the upcoming election.

The third and final question, “Does the issue worry you about Clinton’s potential conduct if elected president?” resulted in 43 percent of respondents answering “very” worried and 14 percent said “somewhat.” This means a total of 57 percent of people are worried to some degree. In comparison, 39 percent said the issue is not related to the prospect of her performance as the leader of America.

Roughly nine out of 10 Republicans disagree with the FBI’s decision and are concerned about how this “extremely careless” behavior would affect her ability to be the head of state.

But Democrats are not as united on this issue — three out of 10 Democrats believe she should have been charged. People with no party loyalty are more likely to agree with Republicans, as six in 10 independents disapprove of the FBI’s decision not to recommend charges.

Follow Eric on Twitter

Send tips to eric@dailycallernewsfoundation.org.

Content created by The Daily Caller News Foundation is available without charge to any eligible news publisher that can provide a large audience. For licensing opportunities of our original content, please contact licensing@dailycallernewsfoundation.org.