Elections

Khan Family Feud, ‘We Want To Be Out Of This Controversy’

Donald Trump Reuters/Joshua Roberts

Daily Caller News Foundation logo
Phillip Stucky Political Reporter

The embattled parents of the fallen Sergeant Khan want to get away from the feud that started when they attacked Republican nominee Donald Trump on the stage of the Democratic National Convention (DNC) last week.

“We want to be out of this controversy. That is not our style…This is not our path,” father Khizr Khan told CNN Monday. Khan attempted to preempt any Trump response by saying there was no need for Trump to comment any more on the matter. “We want to maintain our dignity,” Khan added.

Trump responded to Khan on Twitter.

Trump immediately attempted to shift the narrative to terrorism in his next tweet.

This story is not about Mr. Khan, who is all over the place doing interviews, but rather RADICAL ISLAMIC TERRORISM and the U.S. Get smart!

— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) August 1, 2016

The Khan family used their time at the DNC to attack Trump for his comments on Muslims in America, and to give him a lesson on the Constitution. Khizr Khan also said that Trump has never had to make the sacrifices that people like his son do on a day-to-day basis.

Trump responded the next day in an interview on ABC, saying, “I think I’ve made a lot of sacrifices. I work very, very hard.” Trump went on to insist that Khan’s wife didn’t speak at the DNC because of her Islamic faith. “If you look at his wife, she was standing there. She had nothing to say. She probably, maybe she wasn’t allowed to have anything to say. You tell me.”

Republican leadership refused to defend Trump’s attacks on the Khan family. Speaker of the House Paul Ryan made an official statement on the matter, saying, “America’s greatness is built on the principles of liberty and preserved by the men and women who wear the uniform to defend it. As I have said on numerous occasions, a religious test for entering our country is not reflective of these fundamental values. I reject it.”

Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell, former Governors Jeb Bush and Scott Walker, all came out against Trump’s statements, and affirmed the respect they have for families of fallen soldiers.  Vice Presidential nominee Mike Pence was apologetic for any unintended offense.

Follow Phillip On Twitter

Have a Tip? Let us Know

Content created by The Daily Caller News Foundation is available without charge to any eligible news publisher that can provide a large audience. For licensing opportunities of our original content, please contact licensing@dailycallernewsfoundation.org.