Woman Spends Hundreds To Save Choking GOLDFISH

Boaat Camarillo/Shuttestock

Daily Caller News Foundation logo
Thomas Phippen Acting Editor-In-Chief
Font Size:

A concerned fish owner sank nearly $400 in vet bills after her goldfish swallowed a pebble.

“He was making excessive mouth movements trying to dislodge it,” Emma Marsh said of Conquer, her goldfish. “If we did nothing he would have starved to death,” the 21-year-old of Brisbane, Australia, told the Brisbane Courier Mail.

So the worried fish owner took the nearly two-inch goldfish to the veterinarian, who was able to remove the pebble after dripping anesthesia into Conquer’s fishbowl.

“The pebble was about eight or nine millimeters [about a third of an inch] long and was stuck lengthways across the side of his mouth, which is why he couldn’t spit it out,” life-saving veterinarian Emma McMillan said.

Marsh paid only $9 to purchase the goldfish, but after $75 for the emergency consultation and $301 for the anesthesia and an overnight stay for the little swimmer, the fish is worth a hefty sum.

“I treat fish like they’re any other pet,” Marsh said.

Follow Thomas Phippen on Twitter

Send tips to

All content created by the Daily Caller News Foundation, an independent and nonpartisan newswire service, is available without charge to any legitimate news publisher that can provide a large audience. All republished articles must include our logo, our reporter’s byline and their DCNF affiliation. For any questions about our guidelines or partnering with us, please contact

Tags : australia
Thomas Phippen