DC Metro Station Shut Down After Man Fatally Hit By Train

REUTERS/Kevin Lamarque/Files

Daily Caller News Foundation logo
Steve Birr Vice Reporter

A station was shut down and service remains suspended after a D.C. Metro train struck and killed a man on the tracks outside the Suitland station Wednesday.

There is no train service between the Branch Avenue and Southern Avenue stations due to the ongoing investigation into the fatal incident and the Suitland station is closed. A non-passenger train hit the unidentified man on the tracks between the Suitland and Naylor Road stations at roughly 5:10 a.m. Metro Transit Police quickly pronounced him dead after arriving on scene, reports NBC Washington.

Metro officials rerouted buses to ferry affected passengers to other stations. Riders at the Suitland station experienced long delays before officials cleared the station of more than 100 people.

“First they said they were single-tracking, and then a train did come by,” a rider told NBC4. “Then they said no train service.”

Investigators are still trying to determine why the man entered the tracks but confirmed it was not an employee with the Washington Metropolitan Transit Authority (WMATA). The area of tracks where the man died does not have any security cameras.

There were no repairs adding to delays Wednesday but orange line trains traveling between the Vienna and West Falls Church stations will single track for 42 days for Surge 9 SafeTrack repairs beginning Thursday. D.C. Metro officials are warning riders at the Vienna, Dunn Loring, West Falls Church and East Falls Church stations to anticipate large disruptions to regular service throughout the maintenance work.

Officials will also conduct added repairs every weekend through the surge, which ends Oct. 26.

Follow Steve on Twitter

Content created by The Daily Caller News Foundation is available without charge to any eligible news publisher that can provide a large audience. For licensing opportunities of our original content, please contact