US

Another Marine Recruit Has Died At Parris Island

REUTERS/Shannon Stapleton

Daily Caller News Foundation logo
Jonah Bennett Contributor
Font Size:

An unidentified Marine died Friday at Parris Island, making him the second Marine to pass at the training depot this year alone.

“The Marine Corps has notified the family and are ensuring they are supported during this difficult time,” Marine Corps spokesman Capt. Gregory Carroll said Saturday, according to Marine Corps Times.

The recruit was found unconscious in his bed at about 8 p.m. on Friday and was rushed by an emergency medical team to Beaufort Memorial Hospital, where was determined dead at 9:32 p.m.

He had been assigned to the 2nd Recruit Training Battalion.

The cause of death as of yet is unknown, though Naval Criminal Investigative Service spokesman Ed Buice said he doesn’t believe there is any foul play at hand.

Earlier this year, Marine recruit Raheel Siddiqui died on March 18 after falling approximately 40 feet. Investigators stated that Siddiqui committed suicide partly because of the harassment he faced due to his Muslim faith.

The investigation found that Siddiqui’s drill instructor had slapped him just prior to Siddiqui’s jump from a stairwell. This same drill instructor had recently placed another recruit in a dryer and then turned it on.

However, Siddiqui’s family disagrees with the claim of suicide, citing insufficient evidence.

Much more recently than Siddiqui’s demise is the prospect of yet another death at the training facility. A Marine recruit who arrived at Parris Island on Oct. 24 is still in critical condition after falling from the recruit processing center. He fell two stories just four days following his arrival at the depot.

“A recruit assigned to Support Battalion, Recruit Training Regiment, Marine Corps Recruit Depot Parris Island fell from the second story in the recruit processing center today and has been transported to an off-site medical facility,” Carroll said at the time, according to The Washington Post. “The command has directed an investigation regarding this incident per standard operating procedures.”

Follow Jonah Bennett on Twitter

Send tips to jonah@dailycallernewsfoundation.org.

Content created by The Daily Caller News Foundation is available without charge to any eligible news publisher that can provide a large audience. For licensing opportunities of our original content, please contact licensing@dailycallernewsfoundation.org.