Four Cops Shot Throughout The Country In 24-Hour Period

REUTERS/Eduardo Munoz

Daily Caller News Foundation logo
Amber Randall Civil Rights Reporter
Font Size:

Four police officers were shot in less than a 24-hour period this weekend in a series of violent attacks against law enforcement officers.

San Antonio Detective Benjamin Marconi, one of the victims, was shot to death while trying to issue a traffic ticket late Sunday morning.

Marconi pulled over a car just outside the Public Safety Headquarters. As he wrote up the ticket inside his squad car, a black vehicle pulled up behind him, according to San Antonio Police Chief William McManus.

The driver exited his vehicle, went up to the squad car window and shot Marconi in the head. Marconi was later pronounced dead at San Antonio Military Medical Center.

Another St. Louis, Missouri police officer fell victim to a violent attack. A gunman pulled up next to a marked vehicle and opened fire on the officer inside, according to St. Louis Police Department Police Chief Sam Dotson.

Dotson said the injured police officer was just driving and did not try to pull the vehicle over. The officer suffered two gunshot wounds to the head, but is expected to survive.

After a manhunt that carried into Monday morning, police shot and killed the suspect from the attack.

A Gladstone, Missouri officer was shot after conducting a traffic stop Sunday night. The officer pulled a car over and the passenger inside tried to run away on foot. The officer chased the suspect down and a confrontation ensued with the suspect.

The suspect pulled out a handgun during the struggle; both he and the officer suffered gun shot injuries. The suspect died from his wounds while the officer is expected to make a fully recovery.

A Sanibel, Florida police officer was also shot Sunday night after conducting a traffic stop. It was the first time in the island’s history that a police officer was shot, police officials declared.

The officer was shot while sitting in his car after performing a traffic stop. A drive-by shooter drove past him and shot the officer. Doctors at Lee Memorial Hospital treated the officer and later released him.

Police arrested Jon Webster Hay as a suspect and charged him with attempted murder.

Follow Amber on Twitter

Send tips to

Content created by The Daily Caller News Foundation is available without charge to any eligible news publisher that can provide a large audience. For licensing opportunities of our original content, please contact