Protesting students at George Washington University (GWU) claim forcing them to accept police protection during their marches is “violence,” because many police officers supported President-elect Donald Trump.
In a list of demands assembled by several progressive student groups, GWU protesters say school officials should find a way of guaranteeing their safety during marches that doesn’t involve police.
“The Fraternal Order of Police, the largest police union in the United States, has formally endorsed President-Elect Donald Trump,” the list says. “The FOP includes over 10,000 members in Washington D.C., many of which have jurisdiction over GW’s campus. Placing us in these officers’ care is an act of violence, especially for Black students.”
Elsewhere, the students call for GWU administrators to declare the school a “sanctuary campus” that will protect illegal immigrants from deportation. (RELATED: Columbia Declares Itself A Sanctuary For Illegal Immigrants)
Other demands include:
- Divesting from fossil fuel and private prison companies, as well as any companies associated with Israeli occupation of the West Bank.
- Providing twice-a-year legal clinics to help transgender students change their names and legal genders
- Increasing the “acceptance” of Palestinian students in order to protect them from “escalating state-sanctioned genocide.”
- Providing assistance to local D.C. homeless people
- Hiring more local D.C. residents as employees
- Hiring additional full-time staff for the school’s environmental sustainability office.
The demand list was obtained and first publicized by The College Fix.
Send tips to email@example.com.
Content created by The Daily Caller News Foundation is available without charge to any eligible news publisher that can provide a large audience. For licensing opportunities of our original content, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.