Parents Fight Doctors Removing Life Support, Baby Wakes From Coma

[Facebook/Screenshot - User: Jamais sans Marwa]

Daily Caller News Foundation logo
Eric Lieberman Managing Editor
Font Size:

A 1-year-old baby in a medically-induced coma woke up after doctors pushed to switch her life-support machine off.

The doctors at the La Timone hospital in Marseille, France, placed the infant, named Marwa, in a state of unconsciousness in September after suffering from a virus that is known to cause neurological disorders, according to the Daily Mail.

Medically-induced comas are often implemented because they can protect the brain.

The physicians wanted to turn off the medical device Marwa was connected to because they worried that if she were to wake up, she would most likely have severe functioning issues like difficulty breathing and walking. The doctors asserted Marwa’s brain wasn’t responding to the coma as it should have.

Marwa’s parents, who are from Algeria, created a petition on Facebook so they could extend their child’s medical care. The “Not without my Marwa” campaign collected more than 114,000 signatures.

This led to officials ruling in favor of an “extension of care” for an additional two months, reports the Daily Mail. Doctors were still adamant life-support should be shut off sooner.

Marwa awoke from her coma 10 days after the extension.

“Her treatment continues, but we see progress every day and that gives us a lot of hope,” Marwa’s father said, according to the Nice-Matin, as reported by the Daily Mail. “When I speak to her, she hears my voice, she reacts, sometimes even smiles.”

Follow Eric on Twitter

Send tips to

All content created by the Daily Caller News Foundation, an independent and nonpartisan newswire service, is available without charge to any legitimate news publisher that can provide a large audience. All republished articles must include our logo, our reporter’s byline and their DCNF affiliation. For any questions about our guidelines or partnering with us, please contact